Yellow Cote (late 14th - early 15th Century)

Edith came over and graciously agreed to help me fit sleeves for the dress. We fit them tight and then marked where the “real” seam should be. Then I cut them apart and moved the gap to the edge so that the “real” seam would be in the right place. I ended up trying on the dress several times to…

Continue Reading

Yellow Cote (late 14th - early 15th Century)

Yet more eyelets. Finished all but one eyelet. Good enough to try the dress on and mark the hem. When I went to try on the dress I realized that the lace that I’d set aside for this dress was too short. I fingerlooped a new lace in white silk (5-loop round braid)(about 1-2 hr to fingerloop). Flying to Montana…

Continue Reading

Yellow Cote (late 14th - early 15th Century)

The seam between the wool layer of the two halves of the front gore were sewn wrong (which I guess is what happens when you get impatient). It didn’t lie flat at the top. I ripped out that seam and sewed it together again. It’s lying much flatter now. I also finished the edge of the front opening. Lastly I…

Continue Reading

Yellow Cote (late 14th - early 15th Century)

Lots of procrastination (and being too busy to breath (damn holidays)). Two nights ago I -finally- sat down and cut out the wool for the dress. I think the procrastination was caused by having to make the first cut in nice fabric. Luckily I got past it. The cutting went really fast. After cutting it all out I started sewing…

Continue Reading