Waffenrock

Ugh. I hate button holes. I think it’s more the fact that they look messy and take a terribly long time. In the post above I said “I need to add 3 more buttons and 6 more button holes”. It’s official, I can’t count. There’s a total of 12 button holes, not 6 like I miscounted. Last night I attached…

Continue Reading

Waffenrock

Pattern pieces (not entirely to scale). Because he wants a green triangle to show when he unbuttons one side, I’ve marked one side in green. I had a slightly-better-than-average night last night. His Waffenrock is sewn together except for the skirt and the sleeves. I need to add 3 more buttons and 6 more button holes. It’s going -very- quickly.…

Continue Reading

Waffenrock

After an initial “God, I don’t know how to do this” it turns out the Waffenrock is relatively easy to pattern. I have a basic pattern worked out for the doublet portion and expect to have that sewn together this week. Hell, if I have a better-than-average night I might even have it sewn together tonight. Boo-ya.

Dress of the Court of Saxony

I tried, really hard, to get the fashion fabric attached without having the seam allowances of the linen shell on the outside. In the end I couldn’t get it to work along the front edge (it did work along the side-back seams). So I seam-ripped the front edge open, removed the bones there, sewed the fashion fabrics back in there…

Continue Reading

Dress of the Court of Saxony

Finally I have some pictures to show! Gratuitous boob shot from my honey. I guess this is what I get when I ask him to take pictures 🙂 Generally I like how it’s fitting and looking. In specific there are a few problems. I think the white part is too wide. Ok, correction I think it’s too wide at the…

Continue Reading

Dress of the Court of Saxony

Too hot to work in sewing room. That room’s on the north-west side of the house and gets all the afternoon sun. I ironed the linen for the insert but couldn’t work up the energy to cut it out and piece it together. Instead I decided to start on an accessory. I have this hair bag that I made for…

Continue Reading

Dress of the Court of Saxony

So very close. Monday I stopped at Lacis and picked up Lacing Stays. They are -so- the bomb. Fearghus trimmed them to the correct length and helped me to set the grommets in them. Tuesday afternoon I attached them to the shell. Tuesday night I tried it on. Gah.. again I can’t measure to save my life (or rather I…

Continue Reading

Dress of the Court of Saxony

I am again reminded that I need to try harder when I’m using a pattern. When you’re making something that’s closely fitted to your skin you really really need to make sure you don’t (say) accidentally add 1/2 inch to each side of all of the pattern pieces so that the sewn together first draft in linen is about 3…

Continue Reading

Dress of the Court of Saxony

Finished #1-4 above. I forgot to add the tabs to the back-bottom of the bodice. I’ll see about adding it to the final one. Initially I added seam allowance to the straps.. but during the cutting out I convinced myself that wasn’t needed and I cut it off. I really shouldn’t have listened to myself. I’m pretty sure I’ll need…

Continue Reading

Dress of the Court of Saxony

Edith came by last night and helped fix the top of the bodice. In addition to adding the sleeve caps she helped to fit the area around the arm. After it was all fitted she marked where the seam lines should be. Side-back into the arm hole and across the top of the shoulder (just behind the top.. more like…

Continue Reading