Kampfrau (Trossfrau)

Re-jiggering the Blue

In May I wore the dress to my brother’s wedding. It worked out wonderfully.. but I noticed that the bodice fit a bit more loose than I’d like. Add to that, the velvet ribbons I used for the guards on the bodice seem to be shredding and in some cases tore when the dress stretched under the guards (I’m not…

Continue Reading

Kampfrau (Trossfrau)

Pictures or it never happened

I ended up sewing together the hat and parts of the sleeves on the road-trip to Montana.. and after the wedding I ended up sewing on two more buttons before Coronet.. but it looked lovely. At Nate and Dusty’s wedding 5/21/2011:

Kampfrau (Trossfrau)

Blue and Black Sleeves

Sleeves What I see Blue and black sleeves. The blue matches the dress and the black appears to be the same as the guarding on the bodice. The blue is slashed and bubbles along the arm. White (probably linen) pokes out of the slashing in the blue. The black is tight to the arm. Right arm has 7 bubbles(4 below…

Continue Reading

Kampfrau (Trossfrau)

Blue and Black ToDo List

[updating as progress occurs] Materials: (done)6+ yards of material (outer fabric)(usually wool) Deep blue med/heavy weight wool (done)2 yards of linen (to line the bodice and sleeves) Black Linen (done)5 yards of light linen (to make the white poofs in the sleeves) White Linen (done)2+ yards of guard fabric (or ribbons) Oodles of 5/8″ Black velvet ribbons   TODO list:…

Continue Reading

Kampfrau (Trossfrau)

Tellerbarret and Goldhaube

Tellerbarret What I see: Blue hat, the outer edge is round. I can’t really see what’s going on the with crown but I plan to do a square crown that folds inwards. Two curled white feathers. Feathers have gold bits at the end possibly beads(?). I want the square points to extend almost all the way to the outside of…

Continue Reading

Kampfrau (Trossfrau)

1540 Blue&Black Swiss Gown

Diary started April 6, 2011 Finished: May 21, 2011 Summary My brother is getting married in May and I’m in the wedding party. My instructions are to make “a blue dress I’ll wear again in the future” and that “SCA clothes are fine”. With that in mind I determined to make a version of the dress pictured here: Link to…

Continue Reading

Accessories

Hemd II

My original Hemd was a good first attempt.. but after several months of wearing it I’ve decided it could do with a little improvement. Since I’m deathly allergic to altering garments that I need to wear I instead decided to make a new hemd. Here’s my new pattern: Here’s the reasoning for my new pattern: Problem: Neckline was cut out…

Continue Reading

Dress of the Court of Saxony

Ari’s Dress ToDo

[updating as progress occurs] (done) The placket is two layers of white linen (the colored part will be appliqued on the top part later). Sew all along the outside edge of the placket and turn it inside out. Press it flat and then hand finish the last bit. (done) Sew the bottom of all of the outer bodice pieces and…

Continue Reading

Dress of the Court of Saxony

Patterning done

A few weeks ago I patterned Ari in some scrap linen. Tonight I traced Ari’s pattern onto poster board and added seam allowance. All pieces got seam allowance of 1/2 inch on all sides and the placket also got an addition 1 inch on each side to accommodate the overlap. Now I’ll wash all the dress fabric (which I should…

Continue Reading